Professorship for Land Surface-Atmosphere Interactions
Dealing with the impact of global environmental change is the great challenge of the 21st century. Terrestrial ecosystems play an important role by storing large amounts of carbon thereby mitigating climate change. Developing a sound understanding of the functioning of ecosystem processes which are essential for interactions with the atmosphere is the goal of the professorship for “Land Surface-Atmosphere Interactions”.
Our methodological approach includes a combination of observational data and models and ranges from the calculation of simple statistical models to the development of complex process-based models from local, regional to global scale.
Tree mortality workshop in Hannover: "Crossing scales and disciplines to identify global trends in tree mortality as an indicator of forest health"
We discussed on how to establish a global network for monitoring forest health and forest mortality, and how models can contribute to such a network.Link: http://stem.thuenen.de/aims/
Thorsten Grams (TUM) took the LSAI to Kranzberg Forest and provided an in-depth site tour of the research facilities there, including the ongoing KROOF (Kranzberg Roof) rain exclusion experiment.
Open PhD position in FOREXCLIM project "Forests and extreme weather events: Solutions for risk resilient management"
See here for details.
- CLIMAX: Climate Services Through Knowledge Co-Production
- Amazon-FACE: Free Air CO2 Enrichment Experiment in the Amazon Basin
- Helmholtz-Alliance "Remote Sensing and Earth System Dynamics"
- International Research Training Group "Dynamical Phenomena in Complex Networks: Fundamentals and Applications"
- Development of LPJmL and LPJ-GUESS
- Climate Change in the study course "Sustainable Resource Management" (MSc)
- Advanced Strategies for Ecological Data Analysis (Graduate Schools)
- "Environmental monitoring and data analysis" in the study course "Sustainable Resource Management" (MSc)
- Effects of forest fires and bark beetle attacks on forest dynamics: Development and applications of simple simulation models
- Entwicklung und Anwendung ökologischer Simulationsmodelle (MSc)
- Environmental Data Analysis (MSc)
- Einführung in die Modellierung (BSc)